Sunday, 12 April 2009
Update on the bird!!
Well, a total success story!!
I nursed the baby thrush, feeding hourly for 5 days. As you can see from the picture, it gathered strength, body weight, but was also becoming a little too tame! I moved it into the garage into a large cage so that it wasn't focussing on me so much, feeding it mealworms, then I had to leave it for longer periods, hoping that it would begin to feed itself. (The movement of live food stimulates it to peck). Once I knew it was eating enough to live on and was flapping around in the cage, I moved it to an outside area (I was lucky to have my inlaws down the road with a large outdoor cat pen, similar to an aviary) We scatter fed for another 3 days, then left the door open. It took about 24 hours for it to want to leave, but it did so yesterday morning. (Unfortunately, before I'd had a chance to take another photo). My mother in law was a little disappointed that it didn't come home that night, but obviously, we both know this is a good thing!!
(I'm sure I don't need to say that if I had found the bird alone ouside, I would have left it, as parent birds would most likely have looked after it, but deposited on my kitchen floor gave me no other choice!!)